AIX Backup and ACLs

John F Haugh II jfh at greenber.austin.ibm.com
Sat Jan 12 06:20:51 AEST 1991

In article <19494 at hydra.gatech.EDU> scott at prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Holt) writes:
>Real simply query: does the AIX backup command backup access control
>lists? If so, does it do so when backing up "by name" rather than
>"by inode". If not, does anything? I have not seen this documented
>anywhere.

Yes, when you back up in "Version 3" format (not with the -o flag,
that is) you are backing up any existing ACLs.  This is one of the
reasons that AIX v3 backups are not compatible with either v1 or
v2.  The ACLs should be backed up in both back-by-name and back-by-
inode forms of the command.
--
John F. Haugh II       | This space intentionally |    MaBellNet: (512) 838-4330
SneakerNet: 809/1C079  |      left blank ...      |      VNET: LCCB386 at AUSVMQ