AIX Backup and ACLs

Scott Holt scott at prism.gatech.EDU
Fri Jan 11 07:39:33 AEST 1991

Real simply query: does the AIX backup command backup access control
lists? If so, does it do so when backing up "by name" rather than
"by inode". If not, does anything? I have not seen this documented
anywhere.

Also, related to backup, I am in a position where I cannot unmount a
file system before backing it up as the manuals recommend. I understand
that when backing up by name there is a window between when a file name
is passed to backup and when it is actually written to tape during which
the file can be removed. Also, the data in a file can be altered while
it is being backed up. I think I can live with the problems this may
cause (i.e. the corruption of a single file).

What types of corruption can occur when a backup "by inode" is made
on a live file system? If only the certain files (namely those being
altered or removed during the backup) are currupted, then I can live
with it. However, if backing up a live file system results in a
dump set that is significantly corrupted, then I will have to live with
backups "by name".

thanks,
Scott