Best banded matrix solver for the RS-6000?

Stephen Linam sdl at adagio.austin.ibm.com
Tue Jan 15 10:48:07 AEST 1991

In article <105939 at cc.utah.edu>, CRAYJOHN at cc.utah.edu writes:

|> 	I am is need of the best (i.e. fastest-optimized) routine for
|> solving a banded matrix.  I run the routine that calls the linear system
|> solver on both a RS-6000 (for small jobs) and an IBM3090/600
|>  for the larger jobs.  The n for the matrices ranges from as small as
|> 8000 to as large as 82,000.  Since, for the larger systems, the calculations
|> take in the CPU days I want the best solver I can find.  Any
suggestions and/or
|> comments would be welcome.

Look into the ESSL/6000 product which was announced in December.
The manual says that it has routines for banded matrix factorization
and solve.  I haven't worked with the banded routines, but I have
worked with some of the routines in this product and it is fast.
Also, there is an ESSL product for the 3090 as well, and the
calls are the same, so you should be able to run the code without
too much trouble on either system.

The program number for the ESSL/6000 product is 5621-060.