AIX PS/2 patch 1009: Which Tape? Large SCSIs?

Richard L. Pettit Jr. richp at romulus.la.locus.com
Fri Jan 18 02:33:09 AEST 1991

In article <19761 at hydra.gatech.EDU> hh2 at prism.gatech.EDU (HAAS) writes:
>2.) Will 1009 support SCSI hard disks of greater than 512 MB capacity?
>    Either somebody made a very shortsighted mistake in limiting the
>    installation code to SCSI disks < 512MB, or IBM is intentionally trying
>    to screw those people that wish to use anything but IBM SCSI disks. If it
>    was just an unintentional mistake, then surely it has been corrected
>    by now. Surely?

Not so surely.  I'd like to take this oportunity NOT to defend IBM but to
simply state history and logic.  If IBM does not offer for sale any SCSI
disks that are > 512MB then it seems that it may be the case that functional
verification of driver code for that part may never have occurred.  Even if
in their best intentions Locus wanted to verify that their SCSI driver
worked with such a drive, from where would the drive come ?  Would IBM pay
for a non-IBM part for them to test on ?  Not likely.  In fact not at all.
AIX PS/2 was written for the PS/2 and will work with advertised PS/2
components.  This is unfortunate, but true.  Personally, I'd much rather
be using AIX on my clone-at-home than ODT.

Rich
----
              Richard Pettit                       Locus Computing Corp.
                                richp at locus.com
        "Opinions expressed herein are of the author, not (LCC or IBM)"