AIX PS/2 patch 1009: Which Tape? Large SCSIs?

HAAS hh2 at prism.gatech.EDU
Thu Jan 17 14:25:27 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan17.002027.16571 at odin.corp.sgi.com> jeffs at soul.esd.sgi.com (Jeff Smith) writes:
>|> 1.) 1009 is supposed to be available in both floppy and tape format.
>|>     Which tape format? I bet the it's the 6257 (?#), and that the
>|>     IBM Internal Tape Backup Unit has been neglected again. Does anyone
>|>     know?
>
>I doubt they will support the ITBU.  My $$ would be on the 6157-001.

I received a note from John Canning . . .

|I do not know about Large SCSI's.  We have been told that 1009 will
|be available on a tape which can be read by our internal tape drives.
|
|Heaven help them if this is not the case.

I second the "heaven help" them . . . .  If they can't support their
own hardware, who else in thier right mind would, and therefore, why
should we buy it ?!!

>|> 2.) Will 1009 support SCSI hard disks of greater than 512 MB capacity?
>|>     Either somebody made a very shortsighted mistake in limiting the
>|>     installation code to SCSI disks < 512MB, or IBM is intentionally trying
>|>     to screw those people that wish to use anything but IBM SCSI
>|>     disks.
>|>     If it was just an unintentional mistake, then surely it has been
>|>     corrected by now. Surely?
>
>Until recently I had a PS/2 with 2 620M RS/6000 external SCSI's hooked up to
>the cached adapter no problem.   The machine is still running with one of
>these drives.  However I had the OS on a 120M ESDI drive.  There are hacks to
>allow installation on any disk, which somebody from LCC could probably post.
>
>jeffs at sgi.com
>(ex-AIX and other random UNIX OS on PS/2 development)

I performed a "hack" myself, as instructed by a very kind and generous
AIX user. AIX installed (aparently) fine, but I now cannot use my Internal
Tape Backup, nor can I enable my serial port. Since the only change was the
hack, I must assume . . Either way, if IBM claims to provide SCSI compatibility,
what's the *$^@^ problem ???

hh
--
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/DB         "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2