AIX PS/2 patch 1009: Which Tape? Large SCSIs?

Jeff Smith jeffs at soul.esd.sgi.com
Thu Jan 17 11:20:27 AEST 1991

|> 1.) 1009 is supposed to be available in both floppy and tape format.
|>     Which tape format? I bet the it's the 6257 (?#), and that the
|>     IBM Internal Tape Backup Unit has been neglected again. Does anyone
|>     know?

I doubt they will support the ITBU.  My $$ would be on the 6157-001.

|> 2.) Will 1009 support SCSI hard disks of greater than 512 MB capacity?
|>     Either somebody made a very shortsighted mistake in limiting the
|>     installation code to SCSI disks < 512MB, or IBM is intentionally trying
|>     to screw those people that wish to use anything but IBM SCSI
disks. If it
|>     was just an unintentional mistake, then surely it has been corrected
|>     by now. Surely?

Until recently I had a PS/2 with 2 620M RS/6000 external SCSI's hooked up to
the cached adapter no problem.   The machine is still running with one of
these drives.  However I had the OS on a 120M ESDI drive.  There are hacks to
allow installation on any disk, which somebody from LCC could probably post.

jeffs at sgi.com
(ex-AIX and other random UNIX OS on PS/2 development)