The "pcsim" command for a DOS environment ??

Jerry Heyman jerry at heyman.austin.ibm.com
Fri Jan 11 02:59:12 AEST 1991

In article <12040 at ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> haines at debussy.cs.colostate.edu (Matt Haines) writes:
>Hi all.
>
>A friend of mine is trying to get some PC software running on our
>AIX machine via the "pcsim" environment.  I have never heard of this,
>and when I tried it, I was placed into the BASIC interpreter and
>was not allowed to leave.  Commands like "system", "end", "stop"
>seemed to have no effect.

The documentation for PCSIM is pretty extensive on how to set it up to run DOS
applications.  To begin with you will need to start pcsim with a DOS diskette
in the diskette drive using:  pcsim -A 3

You should also have TOUCHED a file prior to starting the pcsim so that you
can emulate a hard disk.  To do that execute the following commands:
                    touch filename
                    pcsim -A 3 -C filename

Then its just like you have a brand new AT.  You have to format the C drive,
copy DOS over to it, etc.  The documentation is better than what I've just
described.

>Thanks in advance or any help.
>--Matt
>--
>Matt Haines <haines at cs.colostate.edu>   | "Why waste time learning when
>Colorado State University, CS Dept.     |  ignorance is instantaneous"
>503 University Services Center          |                        - Hobbes
>Ft. Collins, CO  80523 | (303) 491-1943 |

jerry
Jerry Heyman                     IBM T-R: jerry at heyman.austin.ibm.com
AWD Tools Development            VNET   : HEYMAN at AUSVMQ
AWD Austin                       T/L    : 793-3962
*** All opinions expressed are exactly that - my opinions and NOT IBM's