AIX 1.2 is dead

Mark Kosten - Computer Centre, La Trobe Uni. CCMK at lure.latrobe.edu.au
Fri Mar 1 01:00:33 AEST 1991

A number of people have sent me mail telling me about AIX 1.2.1 and
its support of XGA.  I happened to see my source in IBM again today
so asked further questions.  Remember, *I* am not saying this!

1.2.1 counts as a bug fix and minor update.  There is still not
Xwindow support of high-resolution XGA.  A new version of AIX will
be an amalgam of something done with SCO, but also related to OSF in
some way.  It might be called AIX, but will not be the same code as
exists today.  Expect an announcement in 3-6 months with regard to
Open Desktop.

All this came about because while wandering about an IBM building I
came across a guy from SCO demoing Open Desktop on a model 90.  I
inquired about this unusual looking event and found out the above.

So, that's all I know.  I don't run Unix so have no axe to grind,
I just thought you AIX 1.2 users might find this interesting.  I can't
vouch for the veracity of IBM long-term planning, however.  Plus,
that's all I know, so no more upsetting-the-applecart mail from me!

Mark Kosten