Emacs Function Key Binding on RS/6000

Steven Preston preston at LL.MIT.EDU
Fri Mar 1 01:34:57 AEST 1991

In article mumble, marc at ladwp (Marc Hall) writes:
>  We have been attempting to determine what specific character sequences are
> emitted by the the function keys f1-f12 on the IBM RS/6000 Model 320 when running
> the emacs 18.56 in its own X window.
Try using the see-chars function available on most emacs-lisp
archives, and reproduced here;
(defun see-chars ()
  "Displays characters typed, terminated by a 3-second timeout."
  (interactive)
  (let ((chars "")
	(inhibit-quit t))
    (message "Enter characters, terminated by 3-second timeout...")
    (while (not (sit-for 3))
      (setq chars (concat chars (list (read-char)))
	    quit-flag nil))		; quit-flag maybe set by C-g
    (message "Characters entered: %s" (key-description chars))))
Simply eval this defun and then say M-x see-chars, type a key (or keys)
and wait for three seconds.  It will print the keys in the echo area.

BTW, your function keys are almost certainly sending "ESC [ 0 0 1 q"
for example.  Emacs beeps because "ESC [ 0" is not bound in the keymap,
whereas "ESC [" is.  After complaining about the unbound seqence, by
beeping, emacs sees "0 1 q" and inserts it into the current buffer.
--
Steve Preston