GKS/graPHIGS/GL/SGL on RS6000 (Help!)

Ivan Maldonado ivan%nepjt at ncsuvx.ncsu.edu
Fri Mar 1 11:45:43 AEST 1991

Hello, I need some advice please.

I have had some experience with GKS programming, and I have a rather
complex GKS program that can run on a VaxStation (written by someone
else).  Upon acquiring a couple of RS/6000's (one with all the graphics
capabilites, etc), one of the new challenges for somebody
around our department (looking more like ME each day) is
to port this FORTRAN/GKS code from the VAX to the RISC.

I asked around and looked through some of the directories and
found a GKS library "/usr/lib/libgksco.a", I cannot find any
information on GKS through InfoExplorer or within the graPHIGS
manuals.  The basic question is: How compatible should I expect
the GKS "calls" to be between these two platforms ?  The first
crack at compiling it, spat out all the calls as "undefined".
I suppose this means that either the call names are different,
or that this library is not what I think it is.

Assuming that considerable work may have to be done to "hammer"
this program into the RISC, can somebody recommend whether it
should be best to just go ahead and replace equivalent GKS calls
by graPHIGS/GL/SGL ones ?  The idea is to eventually take full
advantage of the graphics capabilities of the RISC and move
toward more "sexy & exotic" (2D to 3D to 4D) improvements.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated,

-Ivan
 | Guillermo Ivan Maldonado        |  Internet: ivan at nepjt.ncsu.edu     |
 | Dept. of Nuclear Engineering    |  BITNET  : maldonado at ncsune        |
 | North Carolina State University |-------------------------------------
 | NCSU Box # 7909                 |   ... que viva Quito !             |
 | Raleigh. NC 27695-7909          |         ... que viva el ECUADOR !! |