COMPILER LIMIT EXCEEDED error on cc -c !

MY NAME gt3852a at prism.gatech.EDU
Sun May 5 01:03:25 AEST 1991

>	I was trying to compile xps on the IBM RS6000 and got the
> following error code
>
>         cc  -I/usr/lpp/X11/Xamples -D_BSD -DAIXV3 -c state.c
>    1500-008: (S) COMPILER LIMIT EXCEEDED in GetScreen: Program too
>    complicated to be compiled.
> Compilation ended. Reduce the complexity of the program and recompile, or
> lower the level of optimization and recompile.
>    1506-163: (S) Error recovery not possible. Compilation ended.
> make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.
>

> I am using the most recent version of xps from uunet.uu.net X/contrib
>
> any quick solutions ?
>
> AIX version 3.1 (30003)
> machine: RS6000 530
>
> himanshu.

Himanshu,

     There is nothing wrong with the code you were trying to compile. The
     xlc compiler for this version AIX (3.1 [30003]) seems to have a bug.
     The previous versions of the cc compiler under AIX 3.1 (version 30001
     and 30002) work fine. So, if you have access to those old copies of
     cc you may want to use them to generate the object file.

     The other way around this bug, is to try to split your *.c file into
     smaller files (you may want to break it by group of functions/procedures)
     in order to reduce the complexity of the current .c file you are trying
     to compile and recompile them separately.

Hope this helps
-Nasr Belkeir, Georgia Institute of Technology

Nasr E. Belkeir, belk at sybil.gatech.edu
(404)-955-9136

NASR BELKEIR
uucp:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gt3852a
Internet: gt3852a at prism.gatech.edu