3rd party disk/tape on RS/6000?

Gary Smith gary at chpc.utexas.edu
Wed May 1 23:57:45 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr30.115308.1 at atmo1.atmo.arizona.edu>, leuthold at atmo1.atmo.arizona.edu writes:
|> I'm sure this has already been asked, but, I've just begun to read this group.
|> Is it possible to attach 3rd party SCSI disks to a RS/6000? (Model 550)  How
|> about Exabyte 8mm drives?  Thanks and sorry if this has been gone over before.
|> (reply to email if you wish)
|>
|> Mike Leuthold
|> leuthold at atmo1.atmo.arizona.edu
Mike,
I'm not sure why, but I posted similar questions several times two
months ago and never received any replies.  However, I did determine
that Seagate WREN-7`s were being used quite regularly on RS/6000's
and that IBM's driver software required no modifications for their
use.  I'm looking into the higher performance Seagate Elite-1's now
and will have 6 gigabytes of them here for evaluation soon.  The new
Seagate Elites spin at 5400 RPM, thus average rotational latency of
only 5.6 milliseconds, have a mean seek time of 11.5 milliseconds,
and a transfer rate that varies from 3-4.5 megabytes per second due
to ZBR coding.  Call or send me email for any further details.
Randolph Gary Smith                       Internet: gary at chpc.utexas.edu
Systems Group                             Phonenet: (512) 471-2411
Center for High Performance Computing     Snailnet: 10100 Burnet Road
The University of Texas System                      Austin, Texas 78758-4497