SunOS --> AIX 2.2.1 porting?

Jerry Heyman jerry at heyman.austin.ibm.com
Wed May 1 23:32:17 AEST 1991

In article <1991May1.010457.4066 at ducvax.auburn.edu> campbell at ducvax.auburn.edu (Black Dougal) writes:
>I have recently gotten an account on an IBM RT running AIX 2.2.1.  I'm
>trying to port a rather complex program to it, but have had problems with
>compiling.  The program compiles without a hitch on a Sparc running SunOS,
>but I just can't get the darned thing working in AIX.
>
>I noticed in the FAQ posting that a file '/usr/lpp/bos/bsdport' was
>mentioned, but this file does not exist on our system (in fact the whole
>'bos' subdirectory is missing).  If this file isn't under a copyright
>which prevents it, could someone e-mail it, and any other porting tips
>to me?  This would be much appreciated.

First off, the '/usr/lpp/bos/bsdport' document that you refer to is strictly
for AIX v3 - this runs on the RISC System/6000 (not the RT).  There are a
couple of things to note when porting software to the RT from a Berkley based
system.

First off, while a lot of the Berkley features are in AIX 2.2.1, it is basic-
ally an AT&T SysV.2 system with parts of SysV.3 added.  You might be able to
find a #define in your code for SYSV - but not necessarily.

Secondly, to make the RT compile more like a BSD-type Unix(tm) box, you need
to do the following in your compile line:

            cc -DBSD_INCLUDES <other flags> <file names> -lbsd

I'm pretty sure those are both correct.  If you want a little bit more infor-
mation, look at the README file located in the / directory.  More specifically
the section on TCP/IP for the PC which talks about compiling a particular
daemon for facilitating mail.  That daemon was pure Berkley code when origin-
ally written and there is a compile line in there that should help.

>Ernest MacDougal Campbell III           | "I don't want the world....

jerry

Jerry Heyman                         Internet : jerry at ajones.austin.ibm.com
PSP Development Environment Tools    VNET     : HEYMAN at AUSTIN
Austin, TX  78758                    IBM T-R  : jerry at heyman.austin.ibm.com
*** All opinions expressed are exactly that - my opinions and NOT IBM's