IBM RS/6000 unsuitable for news

Dave Sill de5 at ornl.gov
Wed May 8 23:46:29 AEST 1991

In article <i03k25w164w at halcyon.uucp>, halcyon!ralphs at seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) writes:

>I'm not sure how *nix figures this kind of thing, but a check of the
>size of the average news post (based on 10,000 messages online) is
>~3K.  This is on my MS-DOS system with an almost-full feed.

The average size is less important than the size distribution.  For
example, if 90% of the articles are under 2k and the other 10% are
very large source/binary/GIF's that bring the overall average up to
3k, then you're going to have a *lot* of wasted space with 4k blocks.

--
Dave Sill (de5 at ornl.gov)	  It will be a great day when our schools have
Martin Marietta Energy Systems    all the money they need and the Air Force