IBM RS/6000 unsuitable for news

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.tcc.com
Wed May 8 02:00:42 AEST 1991

In article <BGLENDEN.91May6130729 at colobus.cv.nrao.edu> bglenden at colobus.cv.nrao.edu (Brian Glendenning) writes:

>In my opinion, IBM/RS6000 machines running AIX 3, are unsuitable for
>running usenet news because the filesystems only have 4k blocks, and
>thus waste a lot of space for usenet news.

Yes, unfortunately this is also the case with AIX on the PS/2 and 370.
Here at Locus we keep news on a couple of 370 guests and it is a constant
struggle to keep from running out of space but, since we have lots of
370 DASD around we live with it.

One possibility struck me, since AIX Version 3 is a 'vnoded' filesystem
(which, alas, AIX/370 isn't) I wouldn't think it would be that hard to
provide a SysV 1K or FFS filesystem as an option. Has anyone out there in
6000 support thought about or considered this??

>(Also, the number of inodes
>is fixed, which would be painful if we could drop the block size...).

I have seen this said a couple of different times, is this literally
true? You mean you can't choose the number of inodes when the filesystem
is created?? This seems bizarre if true, but then I know nothing about
JFS.

Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer.

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM