IBM RS/6000 unsuitable for news

drake at drake.almaden.ibm.com drake at drake.almaden.ibm.com
Wed May 8 05:46:11 AEST 1991

In article <1991May07.160042.28634 at turnkey.tcc.com> jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:
>In article <BGLENDEN.91May6130729 at colobus.cv.nrao.edu> bglenden at colobus.cv.nrao.edu (Brian Glendenning) writes:
>>(Also, the number of inodes
>>is fixed, which would be painful if we could drop the block size...).
>
>I have seen this said a couple of different times, is this literally
>true? You mean you can't choose the number of inodes when the filesystem
>is created?? This seems bizarre if true, but then I know nothing about
>JFS.

This isn't an issue.  When a filesystem is created (or later expanded),
the number of inodes is set to the number of 4K blocks in the filesystem.
In other words, except in cases where there are zero length files in the
filesystem, it's impossible to run out of inodes.

It's true that the number is "fixed", but only in that you can't change it.
But the default is always "big enough".

Sam Drake / IBM Almaden Research Center
Internet:  drake at ibm.com            BITNET:  DRAKE at ALMADEN
Usenet:    ...!uunet!ibmarc!drake   Phone:   (408) 927-1861