IBM RS/6000 unsuitable for news

Craig Miller dcm at codesmith.austin.ibm.com
Wed May 8 07:48:50 AEST 1991

In article <1991May07.160042.28634 at turnkey.tcc.com> jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:
>One possibility struck me, since AIX Version 3 is a 'vnoded' filesystem
>(which, alas, AIX/370 isn't) I wouldn't think it would be that hard to
>provide a SysV 1K or FFS filesystem as an option. Has anyone out there in
>6000 support thought about or considered this??

	Yep, a number of people have tossed this idea around.  I think it's a
	great idea, however (in all seriousness) support probably does not
	have the time to attack this.

	I think development could handle it though :-).

>I have seen this said a couple of different times, is this literally
>true? You mean you can't choose the number of inodes when the filesystem
>is created?? This seems bizarre if true, but then I know nothing about
>JFS.

	The number of inodes is approx 3% of the total size of the filesystem.
	To allocate more inodes, you'll have to extend the filesystem (which
	will give you more data blocks that are probably useless to you
	anyway if you're just looking for more inodes).

>Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer.

	me neither.

>Jack F. Vogel			jackv at locus.com
>AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -
>Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM

	Craig
Craig Miller			Internet:	dcm at aixwiz.austin.ibm.com
IBM Austin			Vnet:		tkg007 at ausvmq
AIXV3 Change Team (level3)	IBM internal:	dcm at littleguy.austin.ibm.com
"I do not represent IBM or any other respectable company."