No-prototype warning wanted from xlc

Bradley T. Freese freese at dalvm41b.vnet.ibm.com
Wed May 15 07:49:45 AEST 1991

ng at cfd.di.nrc.ca (Kai Ng) writes:

> Hi,
>
> I wonder if one can instruct the xlc compiler to issue a warning message
> whenever a function is used but not prototyped. Other ANSI C compilers
> I've used before generate such warning unless explicitly suppressed.
> However xlc seems happy with that.
>
> Have I overlooked any option on the man page?

No, there is no way to do this.  This function was not included in the
design document for the compiler.  The assumption was that most people
would be migrating K&R code and did not want to deal with the error
messages.  You might want to contact your local IBM representative
and request a "design change."  Until then, I recommend using 'lint'
to check your code.