Boot fail with LED 551

Bradley T. Freese freese at dalvm41b.vnet.ibm.com
Wed May 15 07:49:49 AEST 1991

rds95 at leah.albany.edu (Robert Seals) writes:

> After adding an external SCSI controller, cartridge tape, and
> 600m disk, then doing the 3003 update, my system is not happy.
> It fails to boot with '551' on the LED. I got some hints from
> my SE about why this is happening, but unfortunately the last
> resort - rebuilding the system - is not an option, because the
> thing won't even boot from tape.
>
> I am about to start loading diagnostics from floppy, but I thought
> that by the time that happens, somebody else might be able to
> give me more clues. Please.

An associate passed me the following information:

+ The following are related LED read-outs concerning the first phase
+ of IPL.

+ 551  - rootvg is being varied on (phase 1 of IPL)
+ 552  - varyon of rootvg failed
+ 553  - IPL phase 1 completed

+ Although LED 551 means that the system is in phase 1 of IPL and LED
+ 552 is the one that actually reports a problem while in this phase,
+ sometimes the system only reports LED 551 then hangs up before it ever
+ gets to display the 552 message.  Therefore, an LED 551 or 552 means
+ that the system is unable to varyon the rootvg because it was
+ corrupted.

+ LED 552 means that the varyon of root volume group has failed and
+ it is suspected that the file systems may be corrupted and the system
+ is not sending the appropriate signals to the init command.  Defect
+ Support suggested doing the following:

+ 1.a)  Boot off diskette/tape in service position.
+   b)  Run "/etc/continue hkisk0".
+   c)  If errors occurs, something is corrupted.
+   d)  Run "/etc/aix/logform /dev/hd8" and then reboot the system in
+       the normal mode.
+   e)  If you get the message "/dev/hd8 not found", then go on to 2.

+ 2.a)  Disconnect the system battery and turn off the power for about
+       20-30 minutes, then reboot the system.  This can clear out the
+       problem caused by corrupted NVRAM.

+ 3.a)  If neither suggestions worked, you need to have the system
+       reinstalled.

Hope this helps.