CU and getty on a single line

Robin Wilson robin at pensoft.uucp
Tue May 21 08:38:22 AEST 1991

In article <7551 at spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun at spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>The only trouble is, getty and uucico don't get along now.  Whenever I
>dial into the system, the /etc/locks file is set up correctly for that
>terminal port and the /dev/ttyx protection is set to 622.  Then, when
>I log out, /dev/ttyx is set to 662 instead of 666.  The revision to 'cu'
>doesn't mind this, but 'uucico' gives an error code 13 when it
>encounters this protection.  I suppose I could change the ownership code
>of uucico to root instead of uucp, but this might break something else.

Ask IBM DEFECT SUPPORT to write an APAR.  Ask the person on the line at
Level 2 to call me (Robin Wilson, 343-1111 -- in Austin) if they do not
understand... In fact, ask to talk to Lucinda Maddin, and tell her I thought
this might be a bug.

(DON'T ABUSE THIS HELP... OR I'LL SHUT IT OFF QUICKLY!)

>Argh.  Why can't IBM just get it right?

They are human you know...

>So what's my best solution?  Setting the ODM database entry for this
>terminal so it gets restored to 666 instead of 662, or making uucico
>setuid to root?  (I don't know how to manage the ODM entry, and IBM
>carefully made this a well-hidden feature of SMIT.  It's really not
>supposed to be necessary to poke around in this, from what I gather.)

How true.  Do yourself a favor and don't "experiment" or you'll end up
re-installing.  Just try to live with it until they get the "bug" processed.

>Just to add another question, how do I set things up so dialup modems
>can autobaud?  The way things are, the baud rate is 2400 and will always
>be 2400, even if someone tries to connect at 1200 or 9600.  SMIT *should*
>have a selectable feature for autobaud in the TTY menu.  It doesn't.

You can either setup the modem to do speed conversion for you... (ie. you
talk to the modem at one speed only, and the modem establishes the
conversion required to connect to remote modems at different speeds).  Or,
you set the "BAUD rate" parameter to "19200,9600,2400,1200" (or whatever).

That's right, SMIT allows you do this, and always has... BUT, it didn't work
(even though SMIT allowed you to set it this way) until the 3003 update.  You
will then be forced to send a BREAK character to the serial port to get getty
to cycle the speed.

BTW, this also works with "Parity" and "Data bits" and "Stop bits"; but they
use a funny way to go to it... each entry must match up with a corresponding
BAUD rate, parity, stop bits, and data bits entry.  For example, setting:

BAUD rate       19200,9600,2400
parity          none,even,odd
data bits       8,7,5
stop bits       1,1,2

Will yield the following tty device characteristics after successive BREAK
characters are sent:

NO BREAKS:        19200, 8, N, 1
1  BREAK:         9600,  7, E, 1
2 BREAKS:         2400,  5, O, 2
3 BREAKS:         (Back to the top).

(If you are going to be cycling more than 1 of these settings, it is
best to match them up first to first, second to second, and so on... or else
you will have one of them wrap to the beginning of its list before the other
gets to the end of its, and so on....)

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|UUCP:     pensoft!robin                                                      |
|USNail:   701 Canyon Bend Dr.                                                |
|          Pflugerville, TX  78660                                            |
|          Home: (512)251-6889      Work: (512)343-1111                       |