Running 'ld' on a remote filesystem

Mark Brown mbrown at testsys.austin.ibm.com
Wed May 22 09:53:39 AEST 1991

rbraun at spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>If I try to run the 'ld' linker under AIX while my working directory is
>on a remote NFS filesystem, it will die if the remote is running System V.
>'ld' tries to create a temporary file whose name is 15 characters long.
>
>Is there any way to tell 'ld' not to do this?

Yes, we have a bug in tempnam(), such that even though we *know* the
max name length on the filesystem involved, we add a char extra by mistake.
You aren't the first to hit this; the fix isn't through testing yet.

So you can't get ld to mend its ways, but a workaround directory should
solve the problem temporarily.

--
Mark Brown    IBM PSP Austin, TX.     (512) 823-3741   VNET: MBROWN at AUSVMQ
MAIL: mbrown at testsys.austin.ibm.com OR uunet!testsys.austin.ibm.com!mbrown