RS 6000 Internal disks.

Scott C. Kennedy sck at watson.ibm.com
Tue May 21 03:57:28 AEST 1991

>There's been a lot of discussion about 3rd party SCSI disks but does
>any one know anything about putting third party ESDI disks into 320s?
>I am told that some of my 320s have internal ESDI disks and that there
>is a spare 3 1/2" bay in there. Can I just buy a PC type ESDI disk and
>plug it in or have IBM fixed their ESDI like they've fixed their SCSI?
>I would love to hear if anyone has any experience on this.

   No. The internal Direct-Attached Drive is NOT ESDI. It is similar to
the IDE interface. Yet, we have changed it for performance increases and
to decrease chip count. Plus, confusing the innocent always helps. :)

>Also (in the IcantbelievethiscanpossiblybetruebutIllaskanywayjustincase
>catagory) my VAR wonders whether the new 160/400 internal disks are
>just the same old 120/320 disks but with a different format... I find
>this impossible to believe, he says that no one at IBM will deny it but
>I reckon they just don't know...

The internal 400 MB drive is different from the internal 320 MB drive.
They have different electronics. Whether the physical platters are the
same. Open it and see. (just kidding)

Scott C. Kennedy (sck at watson.ibm.com)     | "All we are saying ...
Distributed High Performance Computing    |  is give peace a chance..."
I.B.M. Thomas J. Watson Research Facility | John Lennon - Dec. 8, 1980