RS 6000 Internal disks.

John Rowe JRowe at exua.exeter.ac.uk
Wed May 15 21:26:52 AEST 1991

There's been a lot of discussion about 3rd party SCSI disks but does
any one know anything about putting third party ESDI disks into 320s?
I am told that some of my 320s have internal ESDI disks and that there
is a spare 3 1/2" bay in there. Can I just buy a PC type ESDI disk and
plug it in or have IBM fixed their ESDI like they've fixed their SCSI?
I would love to hear if anyone has any experience on this.

Also (in the IcantbelievethiscanpossiblybetruebutIllaskanywayjustincase
catagory) my VAR wonders whether the new 160/400 internal disks are
just the same old 120/320 disks but with a different format... I find
this impossible to believe, he says that no one at IBM will deny it but
I reckon they just don't know...

Anyone know anything about this bizarre sounding idea?

Thanks for listening.
John