Update 3005

Ruth Milner rmilner at zia.aoc.nrao.edu
Thu May 9 05:28:20 AEST 1991

In article <28447 at hydra.gatech.EDU> scott at prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Holt) writes:

>I know this sounds real critical, but I have to say that this is one of
>the few things I don't like about IBM. I think (hope) most of it will
>get fixed as the RS6000 product line and its support structures mature.

Hear, hear! Sun is having this problem, too. My 4.1.1 release tapes trickled
in for three architectures over a period of three months after the release
date!

>I do have one suggestion, however, for the folks who make these releases:
>SLOW DOWN. We got our machines in October 90...since then there have
>been 3 cumulative updates and 2 supplemental updates.

I can't second this heartily enough. A release practically every month is
*ridiculous*. Can't you get it stable enough to reduce this to every 3
months - or even 6 months? Please? Patch the bugs, yes, don't make a new
release for each one.
--
Ruth Milner
Systems Manager                     NRAO/VLA                    Socorro NM
Computing Division Head      rmilner at zia.aoc.nrao.edu