Update 3005

Geoff Coleman geoff at ugc.uucp
Fri May 10 15:58:47 AEST 1991

In article <1991May8.153901.21973 at bellcore.bellcore.com> jona at iscp.Bellcore.COM (Jon Alperin) writes:

>   I hate to differ, but.......Being involved in a large scale development
>shop with 100's of users, it would be next to impossible to manage 100's of
>patches, each one being different (Yeah...I know...I had asked IBM for single
>fixes before...but I had a different reason in mind). The complaint that I
>have is that IBM does not publish information on non-mandatory upgrades. Many of
>the bugs we were looking at were fixed in the 2004 release (which no one knows >about until someone calls defect support. The I end up trying to figure out
>which problems were fixed in that release, and which one I still need to
>report and get single fixes for.......

	Sounds like my conversation with IBM today.

1) Why can't they provide a list of what is fixed by this update only.
   I don't need a 50 page listing of problem numbers and short description
   over the life of AIX 3.1 I do need to know if the update is worth applying
   immediately.

2) Why can't they auto ship all of these updates to their customers. I find
   it frustrating to have a machine go down flashing 888 to be told that it
   is possibly an old problem that has already been fixed I just need to get
   the latest update.

3) Why aren't these update tapes sent out as loadable tape format ???

Geoff Coleman
UGC Consulting Ltd.