AIX 3.1 dbx problem

/100000 cohen at eagle.austin.ibm.com
Tue May 21 23:01:47 AEST 1991

> 2. What is dbx doing on start-up that takes so long?  My guess is that
>    it's building symbol tables (& related activities) for every module
>    in the program, as well as in the shared libraries (which, I should
>    mention, were compiled with the -g flag).  If that is the case, why does
>    dbx need to resolve all this info at start-up?  Can't it delay this stuff
>    and do it as necessary (on a demand basis)?

There is a new flag (-f) you can use to speed up start-up time.   This flag
does what you suggest and reads in symbol table information on demand.

Rick Cohen                          | phone: tl 793-3792
ibm:     cohen at eagle.austin.ibm.com | vnet: COHEN at AUSTIN
outside: uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!eagle.austin.ibm.com!cohen