Hard delays in device drivers

Marc Kwiatkowski {Host Software-AIX} marc at mercutio.ultra.com
Thu May 16 13:06:49 AEST 1991

In article <5393 at atexnet.Atex.Kodak.COM> kjl at epps.kodak.com (Ken Lebowitz) writes:
>   O.K. - I'm doing my first device driver for the RS/6000.  I'm trying
>   to find out how to insert a time delay for a few microseconds into my
>   device initialization routine.  On SunOS (*shudder*) there's a
>   "DELAY()" macro which does this.  Does anybody out there know how to
>   accomplish the same thing for AIX?

>From TFM

	void delay (ticks)
	int ticks;

	Parameter
	ticks     specifies the number of timer ticks that must occur before
	          process is reactivated.  Many timer ticks can occur
		  per second.

	blah blah blah.

I don't mean to be snide, but if you can't find this documentation,
heaven help you when you get to physio, dma, shared-memory, devsw,
kernel locks, etc.  I'd acquaint myself with InfoExplorer. Read
the following titles, "Calls and Subroutines Reference: Kernel
Extensions", "Kernel Extensions and Device Support Programming
Concepts".  The inaugural issue of AIXpert also has a good
article on device drivers by Sam Drake.  Also, "The IBM
RISC System/6000 POWERstation and POWERserver Hardware Technical
Reference - General Information Manual" - sorry no order number -
is essential for IOCC architecture, POS/VPD configuration, etc.
Finally, there are a number of samples, of limited usefulness,
in /usr/lpp/bos/samples.

Hope this helps.

	Marc P. Kwiatkowski			Ultra Network Technologies
	Internet: marc at ultra.com		101 Daggett Drive
	uucp: ...!ames!ultra!marc		San Jose, CA 95134 USA
	telephone: 408 922 0100 x249

	Ignore the following signature.