utmp fix?

Mark Coverdill mcover at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Thu May 30 11:11:32 AEST 1991

   Ok, what gives?  I just upgraded our machine (RS6000/320) to
AIX 3.1.5 and I was under the impression that the bug in the utmp
file would be fixed with this release, however it is still there.

   For a recap, apparently anyone using the 64-port asynchronous
controller will show an incorrect entry in the IDLE column (currently
my system show various users as logged in for 26 days even though
in reality they just logged in) when using the "w" command and
several messages I have seen have traced this to the utmp file or
the wtmp file.

   I typed in a program I saw about two weeks back to fix this
problem but that had no effect and have been unable to locate it
in various archives. Soooo, if someone would kindly repost the
entire procedure on how to do this or tell me where I can ftp
the procedure to cleanup the utmp file I would appreciate it.

   It doesn't sound like a big deal, but I discovered that one of
our commands in an application we are running is broken because
it relies heavily on the utmp file to determine if someone is
logged on.

   Thanks for your support.
--
Mark Coverdill                                  The Ohio State University
Internet: mcover at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu             Columbus, Ohio