winset problem on RS/6000

Eric Pepke pepke at gw.scri.fsu.edu
Thu May 30 05:19:29 AEST 1991

Here's an interesting problem with winset on the RS/6000 workstations with
the Silicon Graphics GL library.  Calling winset on different windows
above a (prohibitively slow) rate causes the mouse to freeze!  I found the
problem while trying to port a 36,000 line program to the IBM.
Fortunately, I was able to distill it down to the following.

Has anybody seen this before?  Does there exist a workaround?  I called this
in as a severity 3 on the 13th, and yesterday I requested that it be bumped
up to a 2.  It's the only problem, I think, that is preventing my code from
working on the IBM.

/*kaboom.c
  Freezes the mouse on the IBM RS6000 window manager by doing
  successive winsets to the GL system at above a certain rate.

  Do not run this from the console or it will be a pain to stop.
  Telnet in instead.

  Eric Pepke
*/

#include <stdio.h>
#include <gl.h>

#define BOOMDELAY       50000           /*Delay in microseconds.
                                          Make smaller for boom.
                                          On our system, 50000 goes boom.
                                          75000 does not.*/

long window1, window2;

void InitWindows()
/*Initializes the two windows*/
{
    minsize(300, 200);
    window1 = winopen("Window One");
    winset(window1);
    wintitle("Window One");

    minsize(300, 200);
    window2 = winopen("Window Two");
    winset(window2);
    wintitle("Window Two");
}

main()
{
    /*Initialize everything*/
    InitWindows();

    /*Blow up the window manager or else don't.*/
    for (;;)
    {
        winset(window1);
        usleep(BOOMDELAY);
        winset(window2);
        usleep(BOOMDELAY);
    }
}

Eric Pepke                                    INTERNET: pepke at gw.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute MFENET:   pepke at fsu
Florida State University                      SPAN:     scri::pepke
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052                    BITNET:   pepke at fsu

Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.