CU and getty on a single line

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.uucp
Fri May 17 02:54:18 AEST 1991

In article <7532 at spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun at spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>The documentation on 'cu' and 'getty' on the RS/6000 doesn't seem to
>answer the following question:
>
>	How do I set up my modems so I can dial in and dial out
>	on each of them?
>

>The 'getty' doc mentions a '-r' command-line option, but when I
>put that into inittab I can't log in.

Try it again, using SMIT to do your dirty work.  Use either the
"share" or "delay" option under "Login Type" or whatever the menu
entry on SMIT is.  SMIT calls "chdev" to do this, and there may be
some other flag somewhere that needs setting.

>It also mentions the fact that
>a number of parameters such as the device protection mode are stored
>in the ODM database, about which I know nothing.

As near as I can tell, this is a lie.  I've asked IBM support several
times if they can further explain this, and they can't.  What I've
observed is that when 3003 getty opens the tty port, it sets the
protection to 661, meaning that the owner (root) and the group members
(system) can access it.  If you need a quick and dirty fix, before you
get 3005, make "cu"  and "uucico" set-GID to system.  This has security
implications which may or may not bother you, and might also confuse
some of the uucp maintenance daemons.

3005 sets the protections to 666 so that everyone can access the tty
ports.

>Can anyone shed some light on this?

Write me if you're having more trouble -- after fixing the protection
problem I was able to use bidirectional ports without difficulty.
--
Ed Ravin            | I'm sorry, sir, but POSTAL REGULATIONS don't allow
cmcl2!panix!eravin  | PLASTIC tape over PAPER tape and NYLON cord on an