How do I get files off my AIX install tape onto disk?

Bradley T. Freese freese at dalvm41b.vnet.ibm.com
Wed May 15 07:50:43 AEST 1991

fredrick at acd.acd.ucar.edu (Tim Fredrick) writes:

> (Re: AIX3.1.5)  We need to be able to do a network installation and are
trying
> to set it up so that the directory /inst.images/risc_sys6000/3.1 contains
> the proper files as described on page 70 of the Installation Guide for AIX
> version 3 (3.1.5).
>
> I can do a "restore -xf /dev/rmt0.1" and it begins to create an entire
> directory structure with ./etc, ./bin, etc.  This is *not* what I want.  I
> simply want to create ./bos.obj, ./Xrte, ./bosnet, etc.  Can anyone provide
> any clues?  Thanks in advance.  --Tim

I suggest contacting your local IBM representative and asking for the
"Flash" titled "Installation Overview and Tips for AIX...".  It has a
clear walk-through on setting up for network installation.  It is rather
long, so I did not want to just dump it here.  Furthermore, it is kept
up to date as the system evolves.