How do I get files off my AIX install tape onto disk?

Tom Merrick merrick at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Fri May 3 22:09:00 AEST 1991

In article <11258 at ncar.ucar.edu> fredrick at acd.acd.ucar.edu (Tim Fredrick) writes:
>(Re: AIX3.1.5)  We need to be able to do a network installation and are trying
>to set it up so that the directory /inst.images/risc_sys6000/3.1 contains
>the proper files as described on page 70 of the Installation Guide for AIX
>version 3 (3.1.5).
>
>I can do a "restore -xf /dev/rmt0.1" and it begins to create an entire
>directory structure with ./etc, ./bin, etc.  This is *not* what I want.  I
>simply want to create ./bos.obj, ./Xrte, ./bosnet, etc.  Can anyone provide
>any clues?  Thanks in advance.  --Tim

Use the following command for each files the files on the tape

     dd if=/dev/rmt0.1 of=filen

The first two files are typically dummy files (I belive that they are
placeholders for the kernal and a stripped bos for a SIPO tape).

The third file is the table of contents and each entry will begin like
1:4{ -- This means tape one, file four and the description that follows
will be the name that you will want to rename the output of the dd
command to.

One of these days I will automate this procedure, but I am still new
at AIX (unix).

Tom Merrick
Ohio State University