3005: /usr/lpp/info/PShead oops

Paul Lindner lindner at cs.umn.edu
Sat May 18 00:39:01 AEST 1991

In <1991May16.204637.9063 at dartvax.dartmouth.edu> paw at eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Pat Wilson) writes:

>I noticed a (potentially _very_ annoying) "typo"
>in a file pulled from the 3005 distribution tape (I got the tape
>direct from the Defect line - my autoship hasn't shown up yet).  The
>first line of the file /usr/lpp/info/data/PShead (should be the header
>sent to a PostScript file) is "%" rather than "%!".  The "%!" in the first
>line of a file tells PostScript to process the following data rather
>than to assume it's text - without the "%!", the file is treated as
>plaintext.

>I called Defect Support, and they agreed that this _was_ a bug, which
>should be fixed in 3006 (APAR IX15857).  You, of course, can fix PShead
>yourself - just edit the file.  IBM thought that the incorrect PShead
>was only a problem with _remote_ printers, and that locally attached
>printers would be fine, but...

Well you had better luck than me.  I called IBM defect support about
something quite similar.  Info has it's own postscript header that it
appends to it's output.  I let defect support know about it and how
it would be really nice if they changed it to %!  Well they agreed
that it was a problem.  However they told me that they would DOCUMENT the
problem, and not fix it. sheesh.  One stupid character.

--
 |Paul Lindner   |lindner at boombox.micro.umn.edu  |"You have to spit
 |University of  |U of Minn. ACM President       | to see the shine..."
 |Minnesota MWNC |I.T. Sun/HP Sysadmin           | -- Babes in Toyland