scsi connectors (IBM <-> SUN)

Roger Ratcliff rr at casbah.acns.nwu.edu
Sat May 4 09:47:53 AEST 1991

I have a ricoh optical drive from APUNIX that is a standard scsi
drive and can be set up on a sun using the standard sun scsi drivers.
Now I have an RS/6000 (320) I want to get it up on the RS6000.
To my complete surprise (huh) the connectors are different, the
sun connectors are D60 (3 rows of 20 pins) and the IBM has a
centronics style connector (2 rows of 30 pins).
The big question, would a cable that connected the pins through work
(i.e., an off the shelf convertor) or could there be a problem.

The problem must have been solved for the HP etc drives that run on
suns and ibms.
Any info would be appreciated

Roger Ratcliff