PCSIM AIX/DOS file transfers?

Bradley T. Freese freese at dalvm41b.vnet.ibm.com
Wed May 15 07:50:14 AEST 1991

andreess at mrlaxs.mrl.uiuc.edu (Marc Andreessen) writes:

> We're just starting to use PCSIM, and I'm wondering if there's any
> direct way to transfer a file from the AIX-managed DOS ``hard drive''
> file to the AIX file system... at present we write the file from
> the emulated hard drive onto a 3.5" floppy, and then use dosread to
> get it back into AIX.  There's got to be an easier way, right?

Yes, yes, yes.  Make a file in your $HOME directory called "simprof",
if you don't already have one.  Put something like the following line
in it:

Edrive              : /u/public/dos/Edir

Change "/u/public/dos/Edir" to point to some AIX *directory*.
For illustration and completeness, this is the rest of my
$HOME/simprof:

#Profile  simprof
#
#
Adiskette           : 3
Cdrive              : /u/public/dos/Cdisk
Ddrive              : /u/public/dos/Ddisk
lpt1                : peg

With this simprof, when I start PC Simulator, it assigns the 3.5inch
drive as my A> disk, the files Cdisk and Ddisk as C> and D>, and
the directory Edir as E>.  To all four drive letters, I can store DOS
files.  The A disk is (of course) DOS readable.  Similarly, the E
drive stores files as AIX files in that directory.  AIX users can
use those files as files.