RS/6000 sendmail HELO problem (AIX 3.1)

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.tcc.com
Wed May 8 01:48:00 AEST 1991

In article <7471 at spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun at spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>I too have been having trouble with sendmail.  This is probably a general
>question, rather than an RS-6000 question, so I'm asking for pointers
>from any source (such as another newsgroup that I'm not familiar with).

The basic functionality of the 6000's sendmail is OK, I see no particular
reason to go looking for new code. The problem you have is with getting
sendmail.cf set up for your needs. Unfortunately, it is difficult to
set up a configuration file generic enough to suit every type of setup,
and the cf shipped with the product is really only suited to a purely
networked (i.e., Internet) mail environment. BTW, the group you want to
keep an eye on and ask questions to is: comp.mail.sendmail.

>I want to set up my RS-6000 as our company's main e-mail relay.  I have
>two external sites willing to talk to us using uucp.  Internally I have
>a small network of systems talking SMTP (well, once I get it configured
>right).  I want to be able to type "mail foo at host.domain" from any
>system on our network and have it figure out that the mail should go
>first to the RS-6000 and then out over one of the uucp links.

The configuration you want is to have sendmail distinguish 2 types of
domain-style addresses: user at host.mydomain and user at host.notmydomain. The
former could simply resolve to the smtp mailer, the later should all be
sent to your 6000 as well as any .UUCP style mail. Then the 6000 could
be configured to similarly to pass any nonlocal domain addresses on to
a "smarthost" (say, uunet) via a uucp mailer. It's going to take a little
study of the sendmail.cf and its language to understand how to do this,
but I think with docs in hand and a printout of your cf file this shouldn't
be too hard a job.

>The documentation I have from IBM and from SCO really doesn't say enough
>about how to set this (rather common) scenario up.  Sendmail has been
>driving me buggy.  Is there a simple-as-A-B-C configuration manual,
>with sample configuration files, available somewhere on the Internet?

There was a message posted in comp.mail.sendmail a few days back saying
there was a generic sendmail.cf available on host tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
in the path pub/sendmail/Tut:sendmail.cf. I have not had time to ftp it
and see how useful it really is. If you really need some sample rules
for this kind of configuration perhaps you could harass your support
contact and maybe an APAR or something could be the basis for some new
sample rules being put into the shipped sendmail.cf. If you are really
in a ditch over this, email me, and perhaps I could provide some sample
stuff. However, be forewarned, I am really busy and can't guarantee a
real quick response, sendmail is sort of a sideline with me, I spend
most of my time with the 370 kernel!

Disclaimer: Opinions are my own, not necessarily my employer's.

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM