setgroups: not owner msg when using rsh,rcp,rdist

Paul Pomes - UofIllinois CSO paul at uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
Fri May 17 05:59:08 AEST 1991

Recently I've been having a problem with various r-commands between
both a 4.3 BSD-reno VAX and a Sequent Symmetry to our RS6000.

rlogin works fine, however rsh and rcp both print a "setgroups: not owner"
message.  The rsh will otherwise work, the rcp fails.  Rdist complains
about version number mismatch, probably because of the rsh problem.

I can reproduce the problem now by logging into ux2, the RS6000, and
issuing the command, "rsh ux2 who".  My environment has been simplified
to the csh with no startup files.  If it matters, setgroups returns
six group names without error.  This doesn't seem to affect anyone
else on the system.  Help?

/pbp
--
Paul Pomes, Computing Services Office