AIX X-WIndows errata

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.uucp
Fri May 24 23:54:59 AEST 1991

In article <1991May23.215744.2966 at panix.uucp> I wrote:

>When I signed back on two things were different:

>The font size for the title bars in all the X windows had been changed to
>a smaller one.

>I couldn't get the menu by clicking on the desktop anymore.  I also
>couldn't get window menus by clicking on the top bar, only the upper left
>corner widget would work.

>Then I signed on as root and the windows worked as they did before...

I played around a little more -- when I sign on as root and invoke xinit,
my xwindows work as they did previously (large font window titles, menu
available when I click on the desktop background).  Furthermore, if I
sign on as J. Random User and then su to root, I have the the "right" font
and and the background menu.  But a normal user gets the small font and
can't get the background menu.

This smells like a protection problem, and I will be sniffing further.
Advice to shorten my search is welcome.

PS: cancel my previous inquiry about x-desktop, that much I figured out.
--
Ed Ravin            | I'm sorry, sir, but POSTAL REGULATIONS don't allow
cmcl2!panix!eravin  | PLASTIC tape over PAPER tape and NYLON cord on an