Install an image backup onto a machine of different model

Mark Whetzel markw at airgun.wg.waii.com
Thu May 30 03:38:01 AEST 1991

In article <8012 at awdprime.UUCP>, jaime at excalibur.austin.ibm.com writes:
> In article <91146.235414CALT at SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU>,
> CALT at SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:
> >
> > I have an RS/6000 320 running AIX 3.1.5. I made an image backup via
> > SMIT startup with the system backup option. Can I install this image
> > onto an RS/6000 530?
>
> This should work without any problems at all.  The use of the system
> image tape from smit should transport across all machine types.
>
> Jaime Vazquez			Voice:  512-838-4829 or t/l 678-4829
> AIX Technical Support           Fax:    512-838-4851 or t/l 678-4851

The reverse of making 530 tapes to take to the 320 did not work for us.
Something about the internal hard disk controller on the 320.  Code for
that driver was not supplied with 530 build tapes.

Or at least that was the story were were told. :-)

We had to re-install on the 320 from system tapes sent for that machine
from Austin (or where ever they make install tapes).

--
Mark Whetzel     My comments are my own, not my company's.
Western Geophysical - A division of Western Atlas International,
A Litton/Dresser Company           DOMAIN addr: markw at airgun.wg.waii.com
VOICE: (713) 963-2446		   UUNET address:  uunet!airgun!markw