How do I fix this mile wide security hole?

Dave Close davec at shared.uucp
Sun May 5 11:48:27 AEST 1991

In article <7237 at awdprime.UUCP> mbrown at testsys.austin.ibm.com (Mark Brown) writes:
>fangchin at elaine54.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) writes:
>  > Every now and then I have to be away from my RS6000 console.  Up to now
>  > I haven't found a good way to lock my console.  Xlock won't cut it since
>  > anyone can walk up to my console, ALT-CNTL-BKSP, kills X, and then do
>  > whatever s/he wants!
>Look at the "-T" option on the command "X" which starts the X server.

Note that -T *only* inhibits CNTL-ALT-BKSP.  It does not inhibit ALT-ACTION.
Unless you are careful, you may have left behind a logged-in screen which
is reachable by ALT-ACTION.  This is true if you start X with 'open'.  To
prevent that problem, you can enter 'open xinit;exit'.

--
       	Dave Close         Shared Financial Systems          Dallas
        	davec at shared.com       vmail +1 214 458 3850