Amiga Unix and A3000UX announcement

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Sun Feb 10 06:17:54 AEST 1991

>SVR4 from AT&T includes:
>
>	BSD Unix compatibility at the command and C source code levels

(Note that this is, of course, done with extra libraries for BSD
compatibility and a "/usr/ucb" directory for those commands that differ,
a la Sun and various other vendors.)

>	On-line manual pages and "man" command

So AT&T finally put them back?  Or did Commodore buy the on-line man
page product and include that?

>	Traditional Unix document preparation system (nroff, troff, -ms,
>	-mm, -mv, eqn, tbl, pic, grap, troff->postscript filters, etc.)

Sounds like Commodore bought DWB and folded that in; "*roff" and stuff
made it into AT&T's S5R4, but mainly for "BSD compatibility", which
means they folded in the ancient V7-vintage "*roff" in BSD.  DWB isn't
bundled with S5R4, unless something's changed since I last heard....

>	Virtual File Systems, including Berkeley Fast File System,
>	traditional Unix file system, and "/proc";

Also, as I remember, "/dev/fd", implemented as a file system - opening
"/dev/fd/N" gives you either a file descriptor referring to the
object that file descriptor N refers to, or a "dup" of file descriptor
N, I don't remember which.

>	Dynamically linked shared libraries

Which don't require as much effort to set up as did the S5R3 shared
libraries; the S5R4 implementation is derived from the SunOS 4.x one.

You also get a procedural interface to the run-time linker (compatible
superset of the SunOS 4.1 interface), so that you can build a package of
routines into a shareable object and, in a main program, map that
shareable object in given its file name, and look up procedures in that
object by name and get pointers to them.