A3000UX - Born to run UNIX SVR4

Shawn L. Baird bairds at eecs.cs.pdx.edu
Wed Feb 6 13:24:29 AEST 1991

manes at vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) writes:

>In article <7475 at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, barrett at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
>> In article <581.27a97594 at vger.nsu.edu> manes at vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) writes:
>> 	That's wonderful!  I don't know how you guys did it.  This has
>> got to be the first UNIX implementation I have ever seen that actually
>> comes with my "barrett" user account and password already supplied.
>>

>You know, I flamed you over in comp.sys.amiga.advocacy and I guess I
>get to do it again.  Sigh.

C'mon, get a life. Just because someone else is having fun joking about the
content of the article, which from my viewpoint was marketroid gibberish.
Relax step back and try not to kill people for having different viewpoints.
Anyways, from what I've seen of your postings, flaming must be one of your
hobbies. Personally, I don't like flaming, but I felt it was important enough
to rewrite this twice already due to our cranky news server. If we're going
to waste net bandwidth, at least I'm going to get to waste some of it.

>> :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)

>Somehow I am not laughing...

That's because the joke is on you.

>> | Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
>> | INTERNET:   barrett at cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
>> | COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett at cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett at jhunix.UUCP    |
>>
>> ps:	I feel sorry for the marketroid that had to write all that
>> 	drivel.  As a long-time UNIX sysadmin, it made me feel ill.
>> 	But perhaps it'll bring in the buyers....

>It did not make me ill, it was just what it seemed to be... an advertisement.
>Perhaps instead of acting the fool you might want to suggest a better
>advertisement.   Better yet, why don't you just write it up and post
>it.  We will see how well you do, we of course will use the same standards
>you use to judge advertising.
>
>There is a difference in a "advertisement" than a information type flyer.
>This was a "advertisement".   I kinda doubt that this ad was directed
>at you.  It was directed to the general semi-tech public.

I think the fact sheet was more what I want my advertisements to be like. But
hey, if it convinces the rest of the public to buy the machine I really don't
care. However, I feel they are speaking down to their prospective market, most
of whom I would assume already have a decent working knowledge of Unix and
want some convincing on why they should by this box over the others. I also
appreciate the tech notes, which contained valuable material.

> +--------+   ==================================================
> | \/     |   Mark D. Manes                    "Mr. AmigaVision"
> | /\  \/ |   manes at vger.nsu.edu
> |     /  |   (804) 683-2532    "Make up your own mind! - AMIGA"

You say make up your own mind, but your view seems a little limited. Maybe
it should be "Mr. AmigaBlind". I think even people from Commodore will have
a bit of a laugh over his response. Loosen up a little, sheesh.

| Shawn L. Baird                        | Or via US Snail:                  |
| bairds at eecs.ee.pdx.edu                | 17650 SE Cason Rd.                |
| ...uunet!tektronix!psueea!eecs!bairds | Gladstone, OR  97027              |