A3000UX - Born to run UNIX SVR4

Mark D. Manes, Norfolk State University manes at vger.nsu.edu
Thu Feb 7 06:37:45 AEST 1991

In article <1455 at pdxgate.UUCP>, bairds at eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Shawn L. Baird) writes:
> manes at vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) writes:
>
>>In article <7475 at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, barrett at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
>>> In article <581.27a97594 at vger.nsu.edu> manes at vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) writes:
>>> 	That's wonderful!  I don't know how you guys did it.  This has
>>> got to be the first UNIX implementation I have ever seen that actually
>>> comes with my "barrett" user account and password already supplied.
>>>

>>You know, I flamed you over in comp.sys.amiga.advocacy and I guess I
>>get to do it again.  Sigh.
>
> C'mon, get a life. Just because someone else is having fun joking about the
> content of the article, which from my viewpoint was marketroid gibberish.
> Relax step back and try not to kill people for having different viewpoints.
> Anyways, from what I've seen of your postings, flaming must be one of your
> hobbies. Personally, I don't like flaming, but I felt it was important enough
> to rewrite this twice already due to our cranky news server. If we're going
> to waste net bandwidth, at least I'm going to get to waste some of it.

I fear you have not followed this very well.  The person whom I flamed
flamed ME because I posted the material.  I posted the material not for
its technical merit but for its "interest", as it is the ONLY piece of
paper that I have seen about UNIX for the Amiga.

I think that it is wrong for people to take pot-shots at advertising.
It is just that  -- advertising.

Further I believe that I contribute to the net.  I do not flame people
on a regular basis and if I do, it is for what I feel a good
reason.

I was taken to task on posting this ad.  It took quite a while to type
214 lines from the advertisement.  I would hope that people would _know_
that I was not posting it as fact.

Sigh..

>>> :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)
>
>>Somehow I am not laughing...
>
> That's because the joke is on you.

I believe you are wrong here.

>>> | Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
>>> | INTERNET:   barrett at cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
>>> | COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett at cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett at jhunix.UUCP    |
>>>
>>> ps:	I feel sorry for the marketroid that had to write all that
>>> 	drivel.  As a long-time UNIX sysadmin, it made me feel ill.
>>> 	But perhaps it'll bring in the buyers....
>
> [unrelated material deleted]
>
> I think the fact sheet was more what I want my advertisements to be like. But
> hey, if it convinces the rest of the public to buy the machine I really don't
> care. However, I feel they are speaking down to their prospective market, most
> of whom I would assume already have a decent working knowledge of Unix and
> want some convincing on why they should by this box over the others. I also
> appreciate the tech notes, which contained valuable material.
>
>> +--------+   ==================================================
>> | \/     |   Mark D. Manes                    "Mr. AmigaVision"
>> | /\  \/ |   manes at vger.nsu.edu
>> |     /  |   (804) 683-2532    "Make up your own mind! - AMIGA"
>
> You say make up your own mind, but your view seems a little limited. Maybe
> it should be "Mr. AmigaBlind". I think even people from Commodore will have
> a bit of a laugh over his response. Loosen up a little, sheesh.

I think that you are rude and mis-informed.

> | Shawn L. Baird                        | Or via US Snail:                  |
> | bairds at eecs.ee.pdx.edu                | 17650 SE Cason Rd.                |
> | ...uunet!tektronix!psueea!eecs!bairds | Gladstone, OR  97027              |

 -mark=