second thoughts on buying a 3000UX

Travis Bissett tbissett at nstar.rn.com
Wed Feb 27 12:13:02 AEST 1991

scotte at applix.com (Scott Evernden) writes:

> In the end, I decided to brew myself a 486/33 box.  It has up to now,
> satisified these requirements (and others) for X and unix development
> purposes.
>
> -scott
>
> Flames, anyone?

Damned right! Flame (1): Ya should a got da SPARC 2 with extra goodies. Dat
486 jest ain't got da right stuff. Fame (2): after payin' all dat moola for
a fast 486 you'r gonna wish ya saved it and got a '3500/ux with dat 68040
an' symmetric coprocessin' an' all dat. Ya coulda used da cash you'd a saved
to buy even bigger hard drive -- nobody ever had too mcuh scuzzy. Like, you
coulda bought a separate scuzzy controller and drive and had the swap area
on its own parallel channel -- big improvement there for extra cash! OK, I
know the 68040 machine has yet to be roomered let alone announced -- and a
person can gradutate from a vic20 to an A3000 and grow a beard in the time
it has taken C=A to go from concept to production for most things. That was
then. Maybe now things will pick up the pace? How 'bout an A4000/UX with a
couple of MC88K chips in it?

All opinions above are humbly mine and due to their inflammatory nature I
will not sign my name....(gawk! hit the sigline off! argh!...

--
Travis Bissett             NSTAR conferencing site 219-289-0287
internet: tbissett at nstar.rn.com       1300 newsgroups - 8 inbound lines