second thoughts on buying a 3000UX

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Thu Feb 28 04:19:02 AEST 1991

In article <1135 at applix.com> scotte at applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:
> In the end, I decided to brew myself a 486/33 box.  It has up to now,
> satisified these requirements (and others) for X and unix development
> purposes.

Are you sure you got the better box? It's got more CPU than a 3000/25,
but unless the video RAM is on the motherboard and not going through the
slow slow slow IBM-PC bus the overall system is likely to be slower for
X work. Have you compared the X speed of the two boxes?

If anything, X is the big reason to go with the 3000 rather than a [34]86
box.
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter at ferranti.com