Adding Symmetric Multiprocessing to Amiga UNIX.

Bernd Felsche bernie at metapro.DIALix.oz.au
Thu Jan 31 17:19:03 AEST 1991

In <1991Jan29.024542.1 at ccvax.iastate.edu> taab5 at ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:

>   It has been discussed before (especially in comp.sys.amiga.hardware)
>that, when a CPU card (such as a 68040 card) is added to the Amiga 3000,
>the 68030 on the motherboard remains available as a coprocessor.

True on the 25MHz motherboard.

>Unfortunately, neither AmigaOS nor UNIX SysVR4 support multiprocessing,
>so although the 68030 remains available hardware-wise, it is unavailable
>for use because of the system software.

Don't jump the gun, Marc. SYSVR4 does not *yet* support multi-
processing. (Why do I feel that this thread is going to wind up in my
kill file?) Please catch up with the news on UNIX, before you make
outrageous comments.

I'm sure that when you take delivery of the `040 coprocessor for your
A3000UX, SYSVR4 multiprocessing will be a bit closer than just the
horizon. If it is wise to do so, and other posters have already
pointed out that merits may be dubious, SMP could be available for the
Amiga, under UNIX, and maybe (earlier?) under AmigaDOS (Did I just
hear CBM's software engineers scramble for the exit :-) ?).

IMHO, the `030 is of far more use as an I/O processor, though the
hardware requirements for making this work _really_ well, would be
greater than a direct plug-in. (e.g. Most interrupt signals would have
to be "masked" from the `040.)
--
 _--_|\  Bernd Felsche         #include <std/disclaimer.h>
/      \ Metapro Systems, 328 Albany Highway, Victoria Park,  Western Australia