Adding Symmetric Multiprocessing to Amiga UNIX.

Ken Seefried iii ken at dali.gatech.edu
Wed Jan 30 08:17:04 AEST 1991

In article <994 at swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent at swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) writes:
>In article <20668 at hydra.gatech.EDU> ken at dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
>>Now, as long as the '040 and the '030 could interrupt one another, you
>>could use the '030 as an I/O front end of some sort.
>Not only for an I/O front end (including tcp/ip), but for X11 graphics
>rendering, possibly?

Keith Packard (the X Performance Man at MIT) has indicated that the
best way to speed up an X server is to put it on a fast processer with
good memory bandwidth and direct access to the frame buffer.  The
worst way is to try and stick it at arms length on some form of
co-processor.  Bottom line seems to be that if your concern is a fast
X server, leave it on the '040.  If you offload disk, net and serial
traffic from the main CPU, I think you'll see a big win all the way
around.  'Course, I'd want to get some empirical data before I bet the
farm on it...

--
	ken seefried iii	"A sneer, a snarl, a whip that
	ken at dali.cc.gatech.edu	 stings...these are a few of