Amiga 3000UX first impressions

Cindy Walters cindy at SSD.CSD.HARRIS.COM
Fri Jan 11 00:49:32 AEST 1991

In article <157 at tcr.UUCP> news at tcr.UUCP (John B. Sobernheim) writes:

>   I have seen the light and it is called /usr/amiga/bin/fractal
>
>	We received a 3000UX the other day.  As far as I know this is
>a saleable unit (I am a dealer), one of the first.  The following are my
>impressions of the machine so far.

Thank you for all the detailed information.  I work on UNIX systems and
I have been contemplating the purchase of a home system that would allow
me to continue to work in a UNIX environment.  I have an old (actually,
two ;-) Commodore 64 system with floppy disk drive and color monitor,
and I'm naturally wondering if any of this equipment can be used with an
Amiga UX - or if I have to completely replace with new equipment.  Any
ideas?  Is there any market for used Commodore 64 equipment (what about
for parts?) ?

>	The Amiga 3000UX that we received is configured with 9 MB's of
>RAM, 1MB of Chip and 8MB's of Fast (using 1mbitx4 zips).  It has a
>[...]
>single page saying that this is a BETA release of the software and
>manuals and that the user is eligible for a free upgrade to version 1.0
>of the software and manuals (For a $50.00 media replacement/shipping and
>handling charge :-).  The version of Unix in this A3000UX was
>BETA 3j.  An errata page listing known bugs and problems was also

Any indication about when the 'production' release can be expected?

You also mentioned that it came with spreadsheet software.  I would
be very interested in knowing more about this - is it a LOTUS 1-2-3
look-alike?  Is there good documentation?  Does it work?

Thanks :-)

Cynthia M. Walters		Internet:  cindy at travis.csd.harris.com
Harris Computer Systems		UUCP:      ...!uunet!travis!cindy
2101 W. Cypress Creek Road      --------------------------------------
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33309-1892   |      R e m a i n   C a l m  !!!    |
Fax: (305) 977-5580