Amiga 3000UX first impressions

Richard Griffith griff at anvil.intel.com
Fri Jan 11 02:47:42 AEST 1991

> >	We found a neat thing in SysVR.4 where when doing a 'ls -al' it now
> >shows links in the format of file -> file.  (file [is linked to] file).
>
> BSD does this for symbolic links; my guess is that that is one of the "new"
> features of SVR4.

better than that!  SYSVR4 (according to AT&T), lets you create either SYSV
file partitions, OR BSD FFS partitions.  Yes, those are called "Fast
File System" partitions (in this case, it has no reference to Amiga's FFS)
The BSD stuff is considerably faster than SYSV partitions.... Besides the
fact that you get 255 char filenames, soft links, hard links, etc.
(Try "mv" on a directory, I'd like to see if that works - It should... under
SYSVR3.x it doesn't!)

:Richard E. Griffith, "griff" : iNTEL, Hillsboro Ore.
:griff at anvil.hf.intel.com
:SCA!: Cyrus Hammerhand, Household of the Golden Wolf, Dragons' Mist, An Tir
:These are MY opinions, if iNTEL wanted them, They'd pay for `em!