Amiga UX and Ada

Dave P. Schaumann dave at cs.arizona.edu
Mon Jan 28 14:57:41 AEST 1991

In article <549.27a32b94 at vger.nsu.edu> g_harrison at vger.nsu.edu ((George C. Harrison) Norfolk State University) writes:
|We are SERIOUSLY considering a lab of AMIGA3000UX's but would like to also have
|an Ada compiler to extend some of our faculty and student research.  gcc and cc
|may be fine for some folks, but some of our work is strictly Ada-based.
|
|Does anyone know of any development efforts in Ada compilers for this computer?
|
|Since the operating system is essentially generic, it would "seem" that
|developing an Ada compiler would be relatively simple IF there is enough
|interest.
|
|Truth, rumors, outrageous rumors, etc. will be fine.
|
|(No, Ada flames, please.  I can "duke" it out for Ada with the best of them!)
|
|                             8-)

Well, developing an Ada compiler may not be as easy as you make out.  I have
heard that calling a compiler an "Ada compiler" requires that you pass a
DoD validation suite.  They don't want a buch of Ada "clones", subsets and
dialects floating around and obscuring the language.

As for any implementations out there, I don't think there are any.  This
question comes up periodically in the comp.sys.amiga groups, but I have
never seen an answer.  There is a yacc-able grammar on one of Fred Fish's
disks, so if your planning on rolling your own Ada-alike, that would probably
be the place to start.

|-- George C. Harrison -------------- || -- My opinions and observations --
|---|| Professor of Computer Science  || -- Only. -------------------------
|---|| Norfolk State University, ---- || ----------- Pray for Peace -------